District Targovishte is located in the Southeastern part of Bulgaria. It includes 5 municipalities and their villages. The area of Targovishte district is 2710.4 sq km and the population is 138 160 people. Targovishte is a center of the district and Targovishte municipality, too.
The municipality is located in the Eastern part of the Danube plain. It has area of 872 sq km and the population is 64025 people. The Targovishte municipality consists of the town of Targovishte and 52 villages around it.
The town is 130 km away from our sea capital Varna, 100 km from Ruse, 339 km from Sofia, 41 km from Shoumen and 100 km from the city of Veliko Tarnovo. Targovishte is situated on both banks of Vrana River.
The railway line Sofia-Varna passes through the town. It is used by a lot of people in this region. There is a small airport 13 km away from Targovishte which is now not in use.
The region is deficient in water recourses, but 98.5% from the population in the municipality use water from central water sources. The municipality has well built and equipped road, electricity and gas networks.
Leading branches in the industrial production are the wine-producing, dairying, producing of glass, beverages and furniture.
Plant-growing and stock-breeding are two of the fundamental directions in the economy of the municipality.
There are several mineral springs with healing properties close to the town.
The climate in Targovishte is moderate-continental. The winter is cold and the summer is relatively hot.
The history of this district is very rich.
Archeological excavations prove that there has been human life there since the Copper-Stone Age (V-IV cent. B. C.). Remains from Thracian, Roman and Byzantine settlements were found in the suburbs of Targovishte. Archeologists found remains from a settlement from the First Bulgarian Country (Fortress ‘Sborishte') and a settlement and fortress from the Second Bulgarian Country.
From 1573 Targovishte was mentioned with its old name-Eski Dzhumaya in the Tax Register of The Ottoman Empire. The town was popular with its annual spring holidays, where horse races, wrestling and other funs were organized. In XVIII century the famous annual fair in Eski Dzhumaya took place for a first time. People from different towns (Sliven, Gabrovo, Veliko Tarnovo, Shoumen, Plovdiv, and even Solun, Tsarigrad, Smirna, and Odrin) visited the fair which was the perfect place to show their goods and skills.
In 1658 the town became an administrative center.
The contact with the European culture and the thirst for knowledge prepared the ground for serious educated activity. In XVIII century the first monastery school was open. After that, in 1846, it was turned into a school of general education. In that time a Christian church and a town library were built; a revolutionary committee was founded.
A lot of handicrafts were developed in Targovishte-homespun tailoring, making of goat's-hair rugs and many others. The town has its own place in the national movement of liberation.
During the Russo-Turkish war for Liberation the residents of Eski Dzhumaya courageously defended their town and did not allow the bashibozuks to burn it during their retreat. In 1934 the new name of the town was changed to Targovishte. The new name was connected with the traditions of trading, preserved through the years.
- The historical museum
It has three permanent exhibitions in the building of Sveti Sedmochislenitzi School, Hadzhi Rusi School, Hadzhi Angel's house.
- The Art Gallery
It bears the name of the famous Bulgarian artist Nikola Marinov.
- The Ethnographic Museum
The museum is located in the house of Angel Hadzhidrumev and it is a valuable architectural monument of the Bulgarian national revival.
- Chalcolithic settlement
It is mound with 8 residential strata, found in the locale of Polyantzi.
- More than 30 buildings in Targovishte's Old Quarter
Among the architectural landmarks is the ‘Sveti Sedmochislenitzi' School.
Landmarks close to the town:
- The mineral spring of Targovishte
It is located 8 km away from the town. The water treats diseases of the kidneys and the digestive tract.
- The hunting grounds ‘Yukya Rorest Park' and the lake ‘Borovo Oko'
They are located just outside the town.
- The Kralevo Golden Treasure
It is found next to the village of Kralevo which is 14 km away from Targovishte.
- The town of Omurtag (located 24 km away from Targovishte) which is famous for its preserved National-Revival monuments:
The Mendzilishka Fountain, St. Demetrius' Church and a lot of National-Revival houses
- The Roman Bridge over the Stara River
It is located 60 km away from Targovishte and built directly upon a rock.