Municipality of Tsarevo is located in South - East Bulgaria. It is 65 km south from Burgas o the main road E-87. On the east the municipality reaches the Black Sea coast, on the west it neighbours municipality Malko Turnovo, on the south it borders with Turkey and on the north it is next to Primorsko municipality.
The area is a unique combination between mountain, sea and rivers.
It comprises 5132 hectars of land and has a population of 9813 residents. The municipality center Tsarevo has 6270 permanent citizens.
Tsarevo municipality comprises 2 towns and 11 villages - Tsarevo , Ahtopol , Sinemorets, Rezovo, Varvara, Brodilovo, Bulgari, Kosti, Kondolovo, Izgrev, Lozenets, Velika and Fazanovo.
Almost all of them are sea resorts.
The specific terrain of Tsarevo municipality determines it as a top summer tourist destination. There are 16 beach strips along the coast line forming the amazing 9184 meters of sand line. The municipality center Tsarevo is located on three bays forming plenty of beach area for residents and tourists.
The biggest Strandzha River - Veleka River is in this municipality. In its lower stream it is navigable forming a 10 km pass inland.
The climate is slightly warmer than in any other part of Bulgaria but the fresh sea breeze makes the hot days more pleasant. The average summer temperature is 26 C and the water temperature is 22- 26 C.
The town has a modern yacht marina with comfortable places for small passenger ships and boats. The unique reserve of Ropotamo is located only 15 km from Tsarevo . About 25 km south is the resort Duyni.
The tourism is well developed in all its aspects - eco tourism, sports hunting, diving, yachting etc.
Underwater archaeological researchers have discovered a number of ancient artifacts - amphora from the Late Antiquity (4th-6th century) and imported red-polished pottery made in Constantinople, Syria and North Africa.This indicates prospering trade in the area at that time. The city's southern peninsula has remains of a medieval fortress .
The town was first mentioned as Vasiliko in the 12th-century . Whether it existed during the First Bulgarian Empire, we do not know. In the 15th and 16th century, Vasilikoz was an Ottoman port. In 1662 the town Vasilikoz comprised a square fortress on a ridge overlooking the Black Sea surrounded by plenty of vineyards. Although its cove was suitable even for the largest vessels, it was usually avoided by the travelers because it offered no protection against the powerful eastern winds.
Vasilikoz was featured in the Ottoman tax registers in the late 17th and the 18th century, as part of the district (kaza) of Anchialos (Pomorie). According to other sources, in 1787 it was a town of 200 houses and a lively port. In 1829, another western traveller mentioned Vasiliko as a town of 220 houses, the main occupation of its residents being ship building and fishing.
The old town was located in the southern part of the cove, where the new quarter of Tsarevo called Vasiliko is. In the first half of the 19th century, Vasiliko had a marine of 42 ships. There were 10 windmills and a watermill in the vicinity, and the nearby vineyards produced up to 6,000 pails of wine a year. There was a Greek school which was also visited by many Bulgarians, contributing to their partial Hellenization.
In 1882, a big fire forced the locals to re-establish the city on the peninsula of the northern cove called Limnos.
The village was added to Bulgarian territories in 1913 after the Balkan Wars. Later on the town was renamed to Tsarevo which is a literal Bulgarian translation of Vasiliko, "royal place".
Between 1950 and 1991, it was known as Michurin, in honor of the Soviet botanist Ivan Vladimirovich Michurin. It regained its original name in 1991 and is officially known as Tsarevo.
- The Holy Trinity's Church with samples of Strandzha icon painting
- The ascension of the Lord's Church
- The catholic Monastery of St.Yani
- Archeological remains from the late Antiquity 3 km north of Tsarevo, in the Arapya campsite
- Remains of the medieval fortress in the town itself
- Late antique and medieval fortress on the nearby Papia Peak
- Hero of the Isthmus - a marble votive tablet with the image of the Thracian warrior.
- The Ropotamo River Reserve